Sunday, January 25, 2015

Is it better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all?


The other day Son asked me if I would have rather known of my Celiac years ago, or if I was glad to have eaten gluten all those years.

This is a really good question and I've put more thought into it in the days since. I certainly would never have wanted to get SO sick and malnourished as I did, but... (flashback to my friend Paula's red velvet whoopie pies) gluten is delicious.

But on the other hand, if I'd never eaten real cake, I'd probably think impostor gluten free cake is pretty good. So I guess I'm saying I haven't got any answers. But for me personally, I have to feel like cake, and cookies, and pizza, and fresh baked bread, are pretty nice things that I did get to experience. Even if they turned out to be bad for me, and even though I don't have them anymore.

To me, the idea of not even knowing what I was missing feels sadder than missing it.




No comments:

Post a Comment