Sunday, July 11, 2010

In Which I Wax Melancholic and Philosophical About Change

I am taken aback by the power of my sad. I didn't think it would bother me so much, just another thing to get through, and on some level that's still true. But I'm sad because in a way its the end of an era.

So I begin to think (Be Afraid)... and I realize that life is really nothing more than a series of events, good or bad, that need to be either relished or survived.. There is no "end" or "beginning", there is only... "next". We need to accept that which we cannot change and live on with the different, whether we are happy about it or not.

We can't live our lives in the mindset of "when things settle down" or "when we can afford it" or "when I get a chance", or "someday we will", etc. It has to be either "do" or "do not", otherwise the choice to not choose becomes the choice to not do.

How good we can be to each other in the time we are allotted? How polite can we be, how tender can we be to each other while we learn our lessons about ourselves? What happiness can we seize while we can? Because the chance may not come again. Everything changes.

Things change. They always do, it's one of the things of nature. Most people are afraid of change, but if you look at it as something you can always count on, then it can be a comfort. (Clint Eastwood said that in Bridges of Madison County.)

No comments:

Post a Comment